BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Restore the Roar

Restore the Roar

Thursday, June 3, 2010

26 Hours Later

I thought I would take some time and allow myself to cool off before I wrote anymore on the debacle from last nights Tigers game. I briefly covered my feelings on the matter here.

A little more than 24 hours later and honest to God I feel the same way. Armando Galarraga threw the 21st Perfect Game in MLB History. I know that the record books will call this game a one hitter. However we fans of Major League Baseball sometimes have a duty to throw record books out the window. Jim Joyce admitted he blew the call. Bud Selig decided he won't overturn the botched call. So what? We as fans of the game have a duty to remember this as a piece of perfection. Cy Young would want it that way, Don Larson would want it that way. Hell Babe Ruth would want it that way. Major League Baseball has a rich and storied history, and Armando Galarraga just help write a new chapter. 20 years from now I sincerely hope that people remember 6-2-2010 as the day Galarraga threw a perfect game.

Fwiw Jim Joyce and Armando Galarraga may be the two classiest human beings to ever be a part of this game that we love so much. First Galarraga who in my epinion should have been irate last night, instead humbly accepted Joyce’s apology. He said that no one is Perfect we all make mistakes. Armando you were wrong because last night my friend you were perfect.

Jim Joyce will go down in the history books as my favorite umpire. It took s0 much guts to go out there today and call this game. And he did it, and called a good game. He had tears in his eyes when Galarraga brought the lineup card out to him. He profusely apologized to Galarraga for costing him the Perfect Game. That is guts. More officials in the game need to take a page out of Joyce’s book. It’s so easy to forget that we are all human and therefore prone to making mistakes. 

Armando has probably received more fame from almost throwing a perfect game, then had he actually done it. This was easily the top story in all of sports for the last 26 hours. He also got a sweet new Corvette out of the deal courtesy of Chevy. The quote of the day also comes courtesy of Mr. Galarraga.

I will keep the CD," Galarraga said. "I will tell my sons I have (a perfect game). It's not official, but I know I have it.

Well done Armando, Well done.

 

 

 

0 comments: